Sunday, August 14, 2011

Last Day of the Fair - Last Day of Summer

Today marks the last day of the Nevada County Fair. Our family has been at the Nevada County Fair playing and working every day this year and had the opportunity to see some great friends. Last night while behind the wine pavilion before watching the band play "Another Brick in The Wall," I had the opportunity to talk to the Fair Family of the Year.

The Union background is here.

Danny and Katie Granholm have been great friends of ours for years. Our gymnastics business and their powder coating business were next door to each other. Our daughter, Lilly, would leave the gym occasionally to color "Little Mermaid" books with Katie in Katie's office. The Granholm kids were semi-permanent fixtures at the gym.

In his youth, Ben Granholm was one of my gymnasts, and in his adolescent years, he became very involved in FFA.  He was the California State FFA Treasurer last year.  He will be headed to Fresno State in the fall and will also be working on agriculture issues in the central valley with my wife, Kim, who is a field representative for Congressman McClintock.

I love all of the kids that I have coached in the past.  I love to see how they grow up, and I love that feeling of how gymnastics has positively impacted their lives.  I try not to have favorites, but it is inevitable.  Two of the "favorites" are Ben and his cousin, Tahnee. We teach them more than just gymnastics...we try to give them tools that they will use the rest of their lives. Sometimes though, as the video below demonstrates, I learn something from them.

California FFA State Leadership Conference - Ben Granholm

No comments:

Post a Comment