Tuesday, October 21, 2014

USA Gymnastics Community Mourns the Loss of Dr. Harold Frey

Dr. Harold "Hal" Frey, legendary gymnast, coach, and judge passed away today.  The list of accomplishments of Dr. Frey, who was inducted into the USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame in 1970, is far too long to list herein and can be seen here.

In the words of my dear friend, Dave Juszczyk, "We have lost a giant. Dr. Harold 'Hal' Frey was so important to so many who are all better because of his influence on their lives. He was somewhere between a father and a grandfather for me. The best fishing partner I ever had, role model for how to use gymnastics to improve the lives of others, and simply the best man I have ever known. My heart is broken, and I will do my best to celebrate him rather than mourn. I love Hal."

Dr. Frey was also a role model and mentor to me and to so many in the gymnastics community.  Last year, I glimpsed Dr. Frey in the stands at a Cal meet that I was judging, but he left early and we did not get to speak.  Everytime I saw him, I thanked him for his words of wisdom to me as I was moving up the gymnastics judging ranks.  I am sad that I did not get to thank him one more time.

“I wish everyone could experience the joy of winning a national individual championship, but nothing compares to being part of a team that wins a national championship where the thrills, the disappointments, and the difficult journey to team gold are all shared,” Hal expressed this wish that may be the deepest desire of every coach in every sport.

You will be sorely missed my dear friend.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment